Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Reevah-isms

I had a fabulous clinical supervisor, Reevah Simon.  She taught me so much - it saved my personal and professional behind.  Her words ring in my mind like mantras.  I will share some (paraphrased)...
We feel ambivalent about everything (including our parents). There are always two sides. If we don’t own both sides, then one side is underground.  Acknowledge all thoughts and feelings and strive for integration.

Ongoing conflict implies underlying agreement.  The only reason we put up with disrespectful treatment from another is that there is a part of us that believes we deserve it.  Otherwise, we'd kick 'em to the curb.  There is no fight if one of us refuses to participate. Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...