Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Irene's Theme Song

Irene Acuña (1937-2003)

My mom's favorite song ever was, "My Way" by Frank Sinatra.

I assume she was aware of Vicente Fernandez's version.  I doubt she ever heard Nina Simone's version, but you never knew with Irene.

The rendition that she tearfully belted was decidedly Frank's.

I didn't get it so much then - at about age 9.  Now I surely do.

When our ancestors die, we swallow them up and stand on their shoulders.  She lives forever in me now.  I am never alone.  I would not expect anything less from such a powerful force of nature. What a pair the two of us.

My Way lyrics
Songwriters: Revaux, Jacques; Anka, Paul (Eng Lyr); Thibaut, Gilles; Francois, Claude;

And now the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend I'll say it clear
I'll state my case of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way
Regrets I've had a few
But then again too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way
Yes there were times I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out, I faced it all
And I stood tall and did it my way
I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now as tears subside
I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that

And may I say not in a shy way
Oh no, oh no, not me
I did it my way
For what is a (wo)man what has (s)he got
If not (her)himself then (s)he has not
To say the things (s)he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels

The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way
Yes it was my way

[ From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/f/frank-sinatra-lyrics/my-way-lyrics.html ]

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...