Monday, November 8, 2010

Intellectual Heroes

When I ran into Dr. Bessel van der Kolk at a trauma conference at UCLA, I could not help but go up to him and say, "I admire your pluck." Check out his book, The Body Keeps the Score or listen to his podcast at nctsn.org. He is not afraid to talk about or research the impact of yoga on healing from trauma. He is not afraid to challenge conventional treatment of trauma. He is controversial but making a difference for the people who come to him for treatment and for providers committed to the best quality of care for trauma treatment.

pluck: gutsiness and the trait of showing courage and determination in spite of possible loss or injury

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...