Sunday, February 26, 2017

Leading with Love vs. Breaking Spirits

There is an old-school philosophy summarized in the saying, “We need to break them down so we can build them back up.” It's common in the military and law enforcement and was common among horse trainers.  I've also seen it attempted by professors and romantic interests. The intention is to force the horse or individual to become "submissive" through heavy force, intimidation, fear, and punishment.

Fear vs. Love.

Rosbeth Moss Kanter is credited with saying, "Power may be defined as the ability to get things done," but I first heard it from one of my mentors, Mr. Cordova, a community organizing elementary school Principal. The quote resonated and helped me to de-stigmatize and de-mystify power. Zygmunt Bauman elaborated, "Power, in a nutshell, is the ability to get things done, and politics is the ability to decide which things need to be done."

As the rightful leader of your life, what's your go-to super-power - fear or love?

From Matthew 26:51-53: "But one of the men with Jesus pulled out his sword and struck the high priest's slave, slashing off his ear. "Put away your sword," Jesus told him. "Those who use the sword will die by the sword. Don't you realize that I could ask my Father for thousands of angels to protect us, and he would send them instantly?

I believe that love is our greatest power. I have faith in our protection. I am full of power and I choose love over fear.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...