Monday, June 25, 2012

Music

Most teens will tell you that music is the backdrop or soundtrack of their lives and wild emotions.

My mentor, artist Roberto Gutierrez, says that music lubricates the emotions (I think it was him, I know someone said it).

Growing up, I did not enjoy listening to the radio - it left me feeling cold and alone.  I'd sometimes listen to my older sibs albums - David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Alice Cooper, Simon & Garfunkel, the Beatles, Paul McCartney, Earth, Wind & Fire, Motown, Peter Frampton.

Now I loooove music.  It is the soundtrack of my emotions, relationships, transitions, experiences and yearning.

My daughter "freaks out" at new experiences.  This morning I dropped her off at summer camp.  We decided to play, Lose Yourself by Eminem and Dog Days are Over by Florence and the Machine, in order to lubricate her emotions - that is, pump her up.

Music is a powerful mood booster.

At long meetings, especially after lunch, sometimes we will play a YouTube video of the song, Party in the USA, accompanied by a happy and adorable young man dancing and interpreting the song using American Sign Language.  You can't help but smile and try to move your hands and hips along.


What songs or lyrics boost your mood?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...