Here are some of my notes from a Sugar Detox workshop by Luz Chacón:
- Dementia and impotence can be called Type 3 Diabetes because they are complications of diabetes
- Wheat acts like sugar in our bodies.
- Sugar is 8 times more addictive than cocaine.
- It is recommended that women have no more than 6 tsp of sugar per day.
- We are being manipulated for profit by the food industry.
- Sugar is linked to heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes, dementia, impotence, depression/mood swings, anxiety, acne, infertility, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, hyperactivity, acid reflux/heartburn, irritable bowel syndrome, fatigue, migraines, rashes, premature aging.
- Lower insulin levels by reducing or eliminating sugar and flour.
- A sugar detox can reset your brain and body and minimize cravings.
- Satisfy sugar or carb cravings with sweet veggies like beets, yams, sweet potatoes.
- Have fruit for dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Replace sugar in recipes with dates or Stevia.
- Replace white flour in recipes with rolled oats or almond flour.
- Avoid food with any type of sugar in the first 4 ingredients.
Sugar Addiction Quiz (True or False)
- I don't eat refined sugar every day
- I can go more than a day without eating some kind of sugar-containing food.
- I never have cravings for sugar, coffee, chocolate, peanut butter or alcohol.
- I've never hidden sweets around the house so I can eat them later.
- I can stop after eating one bite of pastry or one piece of candy.
- There are times when I have no sugar around the house.
- I can have sweets in the house without eating them.
- I can go at least 3 hours without eating without shakes, fatigue or bad moods.
- I do not eat something sweet after every meal.
- I rarely drink coffee or eat donuts or sweet rolls for breakfast.
- I can go more than an hour after waking without eating.
- I don't drink sweetened soft drinks every day.
Four or more "False" responses and you're in the danger zone.