Monday, January 3, 2011

Attachment Quotes

I am starting to think that I should re-name this blog and put "attachment" somewhere in the title.  That would be cool with me...

"...quote from John (Bowlby), at the age of 80:
  • 'My mother held the view that it was dangerous to spoil the children so her response - she was a very stable, sensible, capable person - to bids for her attention and affection were the opposite of what was required'...the only time the children could catch their mother's attention was by asking questions about nature." *
It's no wonder Bowlby became a scientist.  Kids seem to grow in the direction of what their parent(s) pay attention to - like a flower bending toward the sun.  


*From John Bowlby, His Early Life: A Biographical Journey Into the Roots of Attachment Theory by Suzan Van Dijken, New York, NY: Free Association Books, 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...