Wednesday, March 14, 2018

M3 Storytelling Campaign Poster: Abel





"I had my first-born when I was 17. I had to provide for my family, so I joined the Navy when I was 18 and did two deployments to the Gulf of Iraq. After five years, I was honorably discharged. It was difficult to transition from the military to civilian life - I dealt with post-traumatic stress, depression, homelessness, and ended up incarcerated. I ended up in places I never thought I'd end up and I thought I'd never make it back from that. But after everything I've been through, after all these years, I went back to school and got my bachelor's degree in psychology. Now, I'm the manager of the residential program where I stayed when I was homeless. I'm working on my master's of social work degree so that I can help others who have been or are going through what I've been through. I made it here, but I didn't do it alone. I couldn't have done it without the support of my family and the guidance of my mentors. -Abel Martin '16 B.A. Psychology, '18 MSW CSUN"

Posters from the Minority Male Mentoring (M3) storytelling campaign are now available. Please see me about how to order at QuickCopies at CSUN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...