Thursday, May 23, 2013

Empathy & Wisdom

"Do not oppress an alien; you yourselves know how it feels to be aliens, because you were aliens in Egypt."  Exodus 23:9
I acknowledge that I am one of the most judgmental people I have ever known.  Not proud of it though.  I work very hard to understand.  Sometimes the Universe helps out by sending me the exact experience that I previously judged harshly.  This leads me to exclaim, "I get it!"  Now I try to do my homework so I don't have to learn the hard way.  It is inevitable sometimes.

I envy those that are perceptive enough to understand the story behind people's behavior.  It doesn't occur to me naturally and I struggle to understand sometimes.  I try to surround myself with friends and healers who can help me decipher the mysteries of human behavior and relationships.  In the end, I have found that I gotta trust myself, my inner voice and my own intuition most.  It's part of my growing up pains.

After turning 40, I tend to see the nuances of every story.  Most people have a point - no matter how divergent their views on a single issue.  The complexity and sophistication of life awes me.  I like it when I can play with others at these borders of reality.

The less I think I know, the calmer I feel.  The more I thought I knew, the more belligerent I was.  "I know that I know nothing."  Feeling empathic and wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...