Sunday, January 6, 2013

Love, Care, Trust & Respect


"I'm not that woman that makes it easy for you.  Even if I have been before, I'm not now . . . Never make it easy for someone not to have to come up with the basics of love, care, trust and respect in a relationship."             
--from Baggage Reclaim blog by Natalie Lue

If the best thing a father can do for his children is to love and respect their mother, then the best thing that a mother can do for her children is to love and respect herself - and in this way expect others to do so as well.

Instead of walking around asking: why is s/he doing that to me? 

We can ask ourselves:  why am I putting up with it?

If we were raised to believe that our needs don't matter or that other people's needs are more important, then we will believe that we are being needy for having basic needs or just any needs.  This core belief could be underlying codependency.  The antidote is self-love, self-respect, self-worth, self-care and knowing our own value.  If this is not something we learned in childhood and therefore take for granted, it is not so easy to learn but it is never too late.

Wake up every morning and ask: What do I want to do today for me?  What would be loving, caring, trusting and respectful to me?

Now it is within our power to value ourselves.

Wishing everyone love, care, trust and respect for self and others in the New Year - one baby step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...