Monday, August 15, 2011

Mentors of All Kinds

I have mentors for all kinds of life issues.

I have Feelings mentors - people with relational expertise, insight and self-awareness about feelings.  My husband is one of these.  They teach me everyday to pay attention to my emotions, moods, reactions, tone and behavior - the niceties and significant aspects of life.  They teach me that the back and forth of energy in a relationship is important.  It's the glue and spark of our lives.  When I am having relationship difficulties and I don't know what to do - I call on an F mentor.

I have a painting and artistic mentor.  He is also my mentor in visualizing/manifesting and one of my favorite people on the planet.  He seems eternally positive and optimistic, despite the odds.  Of course he has his dark days and with good reason, but he is all the time working on healing.  He has come a long way and I love being around him.  He is a nurturing teacher and his friendship is even more calming than the painting I do in his class.

I have research mentors.  Recently, I submitted an application to conduct a study.   The committee did not approve my initial proposal.  I felt totally lost and bewildered about how to respond to their follow up questions.  After some moments of despair, I cried for help (calmly written emails with proposal attached).  Two of my brilliant mentors responded by morning.  A third brilliant mentor told me he was annoyed by the committees questions.  Feeling grateful for that.

Then there is my ultimate mentor, God.  Plain and simple (as Oprah ended her last show saying), "Glory be to God." Believing in God is not my weakness but my strength.  There is no conflict in being a scientist with faith.  I happily explore empirically the wonders of human and social behavior - especially when God sends me hints about what to look for and points out undiscovered patterns.

Who are your mentors and how do they help you along? Take a moment to thank them for all their hard volunteer work.  According to Martin Seligman, gratitude visits stave off depression.  I imagine it is good energy for both mentor and mentee - and a good turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...