Saturday, April 2, 2011

Coherence

“I want to be a witness to my delirium. That’s why I write, I must find coherence in this mad journey.” 
 --18-year-old Ekiwah Adler-Bel�ndez a “literary prodigy and cerebral palsy and scoliosis survivor.”

Check out the full article on narrative medicine and poetry's power to heal at "Mary Oliver Saved My Life" by Greg Cook.

There is something about coherence, making sense of things and developing understanding, that seems to be powerful, organizing and healing in the face of attachment disruption, trauma and illness.  Whether you write, talk, sing about it or act it out in a play - we strive to contain it, to put it into the form of a story with details - events and associated feelings - with a beginning, middle, and end.  It is a holy and powerful formula.  It is self-expression.  It works.  What's your story?  Come on, everyone has got a voice.  What do you want to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...