Sunday, June 4, 2017

Sunday Morning Affirmations

"Self-affirmations invoke what has been termed--the Whispering Self (Purkey, 2000; Shaw, Siegel, & Schoenlein, 2013)... Self-affirmations are a brief psychological intervention based on the idea that 'people are motivated to maintain self-integrity' (Cohen & Sherman, 2014, p. 336)... the three principles of Self-Affirmation Theory as the need for children and adults to:
a) perceive themselves as 'good persons;'
b) feel that they are adequate enough to be considered moral and adaptive within a given domain, and;
c) 'act in ways worthy of esteem or praise' (p. 336)." 
From "A Case Study of Self-Affirmations in Teacher Education" by Scott Robinson in the Journal of Invitational Theory & Practice, January 1, 2014

Self-affirmations are the things that we tell ourselves about ourselves, others and the world.
Trauma can distort these messages from, "I am good, competent, worthy" to "I am bad, incompetent, helpless."
But what is learned can be unlearned and transformed.
We have the power to return home to our wholeness, integrity and worth - to the birthright of our worth.

Sunday morning has always been a sacred time for me. On this fine late-Spring Sunday morning, I leave you with some of my favorite affirmations.

  • "I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
  • If God is for us, then who can be against us?
  • El respeto a los derechos ajenos es la paz.
  • Continuously contemplate yourself as being surrounded by conditions you wish to produce.
  • Make a shift and catch yourself when you're focusing on what has already been and move your inner speech to what you intend to manifest. 
  • Become conscious of the energy levels of your acquaintances, friends and extended family. 
  • For as you think, so are you.
  • Mighty oaks from little acorns grow.
  • Let go of everything you fear to lose.
  • Optimistic visualization combined with prayer and faith will inevitably actualize achievement.
  • I'll act on my inner intuition impulses to create the work and relationships of my dreams.
  • Believe and succeed. 
  • A great idea and great faith.
  • Put it in God's hands.
  • Shift your mind from fear to faith - stop creating the object of your fear and instead actualize the object of your faith.
  • Fill the mind with thoughts of faith, hope, courage, expectancy.
  • God is now filling my mind with courage, peace and calm assurance.
  • God is now protecting me and my loved ones from all harm. 
  • God is now guiding me to right decisions.
  • God will see me through this situation.
  • I believe I am always divinely guided. 
  • I believe I will always take the right turn of the road.
  • I believe God will always make a way where there is no way.
  • If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, nothing will be impossible to you.
  • Fill the mind with thoughts of God's power, God's protection, and God's goodness.
  • Body, mind, and spirit work harmoniously for continuous energy.
  • Ask for what you want - be willing to take what God gives you. It may be better than what you ask for.
  • Throw your heart over the bar and your body will follow.
  • Attitudes are more important than facts.
  • Remember that God is with you and nothing can defeat you.
  • Muddied water. Let stand. Will become clear.
  • Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
  • Spiritual joy will release charm and loveliness in you.
  • Ask for the ability to do your best and to leave the results confidently to God.
  • To become a happy person, have a clean soul, eyes that see romance in the commonplace and a child's heart

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...