Thursday, September 15, 2011

Friendly Wisdom

My mother used to tease that my true mother was my books ("tu madre los libros").

This summer, rather than sticking my nose in a book, I spent more time with friends and family.  They offered motherly wisdom.

One wise and vivacious friend said, "those that love you will love you regardless, those that hate you will hate you regardless."  I had a slap-my-forehead moment after that one.  I appreciate those that love me despite my quirks and annoyances.  And I have stopped bending over backwards to appease those that will hate me regardless. Freedom to be myself, baby. I still believe in love and respect for all because we are one.  But the bending over backwards was a bit much so I've stopped that $hit right there.

Another wise and true friend said, "parece que nunca se les ha presentado el diablo!" Which roughly translated means, "It seems like they've never met the devil!"  When you have struggled to overcome hardship, a bump in the road doesn't have to throw you for a loop.  I am grateful for growing up in a low-income ethnic minority urban community.  It made me hone the powers of "I'm-ma figure this $hit out, dammit" in order to survive.

Finally, an elder mentor told me about a plaque that she saw on a colleagues desk that read:  "Those that love me, may they love me. And may God cripple those that hate me so I know them by their limp."  Or something like that.  I'm assuming the maiming prayer is metaphorical.  But I do believe that those that hate are limping.  God bless them.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Ale.....and for a lot of us, que ya se nos presento el mero diablo, which to me can be translated to having faced and accepted the disturbing sensations of mental, physical and/or spiritual fatigue, my question was, when am I going to be myself again? I felt lost and confused. But with time, prayers and faith, I have discovered that there is no "old" or "new" Lorna. I continue to be the same "Chinita looking girl". Now, just with a positive attitude to what really matters in life, health, family and friends( I love you amiga). I can now say, "YA NO ME ASUSTAS DIABLO!" Your tricks can never frighten me again. I have mastered your patterns by heart. Wow Ale, you inspired me now. ---Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que lindo, amiga! I shared your quote with my elder mentor and she thought it was very astute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irish Prayer:
    May those that love us, love us.
    And those that don’t love us,
    May God turn their hearts.
    And if he doesn’t turn their hearts,
    May he turn their ankles,
    So we’ll know them by their limping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the original source prayer - it makes more sense now. I'm gonna look for the plaque.

    ReplyDelete

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...