Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sheer Determination

Most of what I accomplish is initiated by inspiration.  The follow through is sheer determination propelled by digging deep (heart/spirit).  Support comes from different places - kind and brilliant people who form a line to help while we attempt to lug boulders across the bridge between research and practice.

I came across this quote pasted over the copy machine at the Center where I did my research internship.

Enjoy:
"The Power of Initiative...


Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back -


Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans:  that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.


All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred.


A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come this way.


Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it.


Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.


Begin it now."                      -- Goethe
No one else has the same exact dream as you, so there is no competition, it is a playing field that is wide open. There is no way to lose, only to do your personal best.

Show up, be willing, that's how it starts.  The Universe of people, love and resources can't step in to help if you don't show up to your own dream/vision.

With this freedom, support, hope and possibility - what will you choose?  What will you decide to do?  Let me know.  I love those kind of stories.

2 comments:

  1. Josephine ServinWednesday, July 06, 2011

    Responding to a calling.....

    In two weeks I will be taking the GRE in preparation for doctoral applications. I have been stuck in a state of enertia for years (out of fear) but I have finally decided to go for it. I love this message you posted, it's exactly what I need right now. I know that when u respond to a calling, free from ego and in the spirit of service the universe, a higher power removes obstacles. Thanks Alex for your energy and wisdom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Josephine! I looooove that story! Adelante, hermana. It isn't easy but you can do it and it is sooo worth it. There are enough of us taking these bold steps, we'll start a brown girl doctoral student support group soon.

    ReplyDelete

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...