Saturday, May 28, 2011

Learning to Edit

I gave my adviser a draft of my publishable paper.  He is a rock star when it comes to writing, having been the editor of a top social work journal.  He said I could cut out 60% of the words in my "reasonably good" draft.

I gave Dr. Glik, an international expert on social media and health communications, a copy of the "statement of problem" from my dissertation proposal.  She gave me thoughtful written feedback and when I met with her she said, "leave them in suspense."

In an effort to scale back, I am taking a full leave of absence from work to dedicate my time and (limited psychic) energy to writing.  Just in time.  Stretching myself thin by juggling work, school and family takes its toll.  Lesson learned:  Never experiment with cutting corners in time by cutting your time with friends and extended family.  It is a recipe for disaster (duh). 

I am learning to edit.  Less is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...