Friday, May 7, 2010

Human and Coming Clean

(my husband said this post sounds a bit harsh, so please read with intended tongue-in-cheek tone)

Perfectionism is a motherf**ck**.

It can really hold us back from...
...trying new things,
...taking advantage of opportunities,
...loving and forgiving ourselves and others (or at least being compassionate),
...speaking our mind (from inchoate thoughts to sophisticated and informed questions) and
...learning.

F*** that sh** (that is, missing out on the good stuff).

"There I go being human again. "

"I get to be imperfect, dammit."

Would those thoughts help as mantras to drown out perfectionistic thoughts as they arise?

I am not always skillful in expressing my thoughts or feelings. I never regret what I say, just how I say it. I am learning (dammit).

2 comments:

  1. ooh--love this one! i can completely relate to the last 2 lines.

    ReplyDelete

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...