Monday, April 12, 2010

Resiliency Characteristics

I am an avowed nerd that loves to read for the inspiration and insight. When I come across amazing articles, I love to share them. This one is a lecture given by Carl C. Bell, M.D., titled Cultivating Resiliency in Youth in the Journal of Adolescent Health.

It identifies the following characteristics of resiliency as:

(a) having curiosity and intellectual mastery; (I have lots of questions!)

(b) having compassion — with detachment; (love this one!)

(c) having the ability to conceptualize; (my imagination is my favorite playground!)

(d) obtaining the conviction of one’s right to survive; (speak it, brother!)

(e) possessing the ability to remember and invoke images of good and sustaining figures; (attachment!)

(f) having the ability to be in touch with affects, not denying or suppressing major affects as they arise; (love this one too!)

(g) having a goal to live for; (I'm living it!)

(h) having the ability to attract and use support; (my social support keeps me sane)

(i) possessing a vision of the possibility and desirability of restoration civilized moral order;

(j) having the need and ability to help others; (hello! I'm a school social worker!)

(k) having an affective repertory; (I get to feel all my feelings!)

(l) being resourceful; (I'm not afraid to ask for help!)

(m) being altruistic toward others; and

(o) having the capacity to turn traumatic helplessness into learned helpfulness. (from client to change agent!)

All these characteristics resonate for me. What resonates for you?

With additional gems in the article like:
"...support the transformation of traumatic helplessness into learned helpfulness" and

"Another esoteric aspect of developing resiliency is referred to as 'building heart' or developing an 'indomitable fighting spirit.' 'Heart' creates a goal to live for and helps develop the conviction of one’s right to survive. The concept is a simple one. By encouraging individuals to 'go the extra mile,' a person can practice calling up emotional reserves until they trust that they have a stockpile of conviction and resiliency. Building 'heart' in individuals is a preventive public health strategy designed to inoculate against the potentially negative effects of stress and trauma. 'Heart' can be built in sports or other spiritual endeavors."

In the article, he also explains the neuropsychiatry of traumatic stress in simple terms, if you would like to read it and learn more.

I am grateful to Mrs. Moreno, my first grade teacher at Rowan Avenue Elementary, who taught me to read. She gave me the tools to access these wonderful strings of letters and words with transcendent meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...