Friday, August 3, 2018

Even Jesus Got Hangry

I love that Jesus was human. It makes him relatable. And a real role model. 
An old friend once told me that he tried to be like Jesus but found he couldn't. 
When I read this passage about Jesus in a clear state of hangriness, I felt validation, self-acceptance, relief, and no excuse not to be like him - because he was supremely human. 
From Matthew 21:18-22 (NIV):                   
18Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry 
19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it. “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered             
20When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked.             
21Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done.  
22If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.
He was hungry. He made the fig tree wither for not bearing fruit. I've been there. 
My daughter has a therapist who understands my daughter's plethora of feelings - big and small. My girl told her therapist about an incident in which I got hangry with her (yelling at her through the streets of downtown). I contend there was a context for this (including my daughter's incalcitrant behavior). Alas, if this is the worst story she can come up with to tell her therapist about me in her lifetime - I'll take it! 

I also note (and love because I relate) that his hungriness colors how he expresses himself. He had previously told his disciples about their potential mountain moving powers:
From Matthew 17:19-20 (NIV): 
19Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?” [They are wondering why they were not successful in their attempt to drive out a demon in a boy since Jesus had already given them authority to do so in Matthew 10:1 ] 
20He replied, “Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
Not only is Jesus hungry, but he has already said this to them before! The first time he said they can move the mountain from here to there. The second (and hungry) time, he says they can tell the mountain to go throw yourself into the sea! My daughter says this must be an old timey way of saying, "Go f--- yourself!"

Over and over again, Jesus teaches, preaches, and heals. Ample evidence to inspire faith, hope, and love. When are we all gonna believe already?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...