Friday, December 10, 2010

Five Essential Elements for Mass Trauma Intervention

"We identified five empirically supported intervention principles that should be used to guide and inform intervention and prevention efforts at the early to mid-term stages. These are promoting:
1) a sense of safety
2) calming
3) a sense of self- and community efficacy
4) connectedness and
5) hope."

Hobfoll, et al. (2007). Five Essential Elements of Immediate and Mid-Term Mass Trauma Intervention: Empirical Evidence. FOCUS, 7 (2), 221-242.

I am on a committee of the National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN) to develop a fact sheet for different audiences about coping with economic downturns. To complement the solid content developed by academicians and community providers, I wanted to add quotes from teachers to bring the information to life. So I reached out to the dedicated educators I know. What they are sending reads like inspiring poetry. I would read it to you, but I get choked up when I do. Thanks and God bless all the responders represented below:

• I feel a sense of safety when... my son is with me.
• I feel calm when... I listen to music.
• I feel I can handle challenges when...I have a plan.
• I feel connected when... I'm with my family or friends.
• I feel hopeful when... my son says " Mama when I grow up..."

• I feel a sense of safety when there are clear boundaries and rules, and those around me are also following them.
• I feel calm when my physical environment is orderly.
• I feel I can handle challenges when I know I have time to make mistakes.
• I feel connected when I receive public kudos.
• I feel hopeful when I am rested, ready, and looking at a short to-do list :).

• I feel connected when people listen.
• I feel calm when I'm on vacation with no to do lists. :-)

• I feel a sense of safety when the work day is over and I'm home.
• I feel calm after I read the Scriptures.
• I feel I can handle challenges after I slow down and pray for strength.
• I feel connected when I make time to spend it with my loved ones.
• I feel hopeful when years later my students come back and tell me what their educational goals are.

• I feel calm when I'm doing the dishes (!) and making art.
• I feel a sense of safety when someone acknowledges that I've done a good job.
• I feel I can handle challenges when I've had time to think about the problem first - even if it's only a short while.
• I feel connected when other people work with me on a solution to a problem or to create something new.
• I feel hopeful when I see progress in something I was working toward - or when a break is coming and I know I'll have time to distance myself for a little bit and come back recharged.

• I feel a sense of safety when I'm at home.
• I feel calm when there's nothing pending.
• I feel I can handle challenges when I have my husband's support.
• I feel connected when I'm with my family.
• I feel hopeful when I go to church.

• I feel a sense of safety when I have positive relationships with others.
• I feel calm when I am prepared and my environment is orderly.
• I feel I can handle challenges when I am supported.
• I feel connected when I have a mutual participation in community.
• I feel hopeful when work is completed and I work with others.

Wanna try this sentence completion activity and add to the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...