Saturday, May 14, 2011

Cultural Diaspora, Loss and Confusion

Letter from Cree Woman in Prison:
"As you may be aware, in 1885 my family and band were spread all over this continent after the imprisonment of Big Bear . . . I’ve had a hard life and it keeps getting harder. I think it’s a deep sense of true justice and understanding and of true knowledge I search for that keeps me going . . . I just wish my life would change for the better at some point. I don’t want to die this way, with nothing settled or overcome. I need to fight. I need to know where I come from and why our race suffers so . . . "

A Cree Woman Reads Jung
Craig Stephenson
Transcultural Psychiatry 2003 40: 181  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My high school senior. When she was born and breastfeeding every two hours, 24-7, and I couldn’t shower or read the Sunday paper anymor...